We are headed to my kind of town, Chicago, next week for some great food and the American Bar Association Techshow. ABA Techshow has a forward looking agenda which jumps right into social, mobile and cloud. We will be demoing our new integration with Office 365 as well as our connector to NetDocuments’ document management and collaboration system.
I’m looking forward to this year’s keynote by Google Ventures Partner, Rick Klau. Rick co-leads Google’s Startup Lab. He has worked in product management with Google+, Blogger and YouTube. Where it gets interesting is that Rick has a JD from the University of Richmond School of Law and has worked at iManage. Rick should have quite a perspective on new technology and legal.
Rick Klau – Google Ventures
Please visit us in booth 104. We will be happy to show you our file sync, share, and edit. Files from Windows, CIFS, SharePoint, OneDrive, NetDocuments, OpenText and Alfresco are safely accessible for review and edit, online or offline, in our encrypted container.
See you at ABA Techshow or Emilio’s Tapas!
President Bill Clinton and Danica Patrick are behind us now and we are all back at work, catching up.
I have a few observations about SPC14 before we head off to the American Bar Association Techshow in Chicago.
1. I am quoting, “They should have called it Office 365 Conference 2014.” Indeed. If you have not seen Office 365 recently, take a good look. The interface is intuitive and friendly. The line between Office 365 and SharePoint 2013 blurs. Maybe SharePoint fades away and the capabilities become part of Office 365?
2. Yammer. No surprise here. Yammer social leads the way over SharePoint social.
3. Office 365 provides enhancements in security and control, including second factor authentication and rights management.
4. Business Intelligence takes a front seat. Analysis is done in Excel. A new product, Power BI, surfaces the data in Office 365 and offers collaboration.
5. Speaking of collaboration, in Office 365, concurrent users can now collaborate in editing Excel. This was already available in Word.
6. Oslo and the Office Graph.
Oslo is the code name for the new, powerful search in upcoming in Office 365, based on FAST. But it’s more than searching on a keyword. Oslo is the intelligence behind the Office Graph. The Office Graph understands a user’s relationships to people and content. Then Oslo serves up cards which provide the user with content and news which she is likely to be interested in.
Pictures are helpful: http://blogs.office.com/2014/03/11/introducing-codename-oslo-and-the-office-graph/
It strikes me that Microsoft is moving very rapidly to close the gap in hosted apps and in social. Oslo is slated for release later this year. If Microsoft delivers on the Oslo promise, it will be an almost dizzying leap forward.
Whether it is SharePoint Conference or Office 365 Conference – see you next time.
If you are in legal IT, look for us in booth 104 at ABA Techshow, Chicago Hilton, March 27th and 28th.
Great to be back in Las Vegas for SPC14. Microsoft does an incredible job with this conference. This year’s keynote is President Bill Clinton. I hear he’s an avid SharePoint user. 🙂
SharePoint needs to move and travel with you. Link for SharePoint has two views which users love:
- SharePoint desktop view, fully interactive – everything which you can do at your desktop, you can do on mobile. Perfect on a tablet.
- SharePoint App – use when you are on the go and need quick, small screen access to vital files and lists.
With Link, you can save docs for encrypted offline access, then review and edit them later.
Use SharePoint on your schedule, with the device that is most convenient for you.
In addition, in the encrypted Link container you have access to:
- Office Web Apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote
- Office 365
- Enterprise Content Management
- Any application on your intranet via our secure browser
Want to write mobile web apps and secure them in our container? The Link HTML5 SDK is for you.
If you have not seen our Link SharePoint solution, this is the perfect opportunity.
We’ll be happy to show you Link at booth 641.